Thursday, May 6, 2010

An Alternative to Shampoo

A few weeks ago I ran out of shampoo and wasn't able to get to the store for a few days. Luckily I remembered a friend telling about using baking soda instead of shampoo to help your hair be less greasy and have less dandruff. The idea was that the baking soda actually helps the scalp skin stay moisturized instead of drying it out and that the baking soda doesn't have sulfates and other harsh chemicals that damage your hair. So I decided to try baking soda. At first it was a little weird because it didn't lather and I wasn't sure if it would actually clean my hair. Surprisingly it did a good job at getting all the grease and baby food out of my hair. It is supposed to take 2 weeks for hair to adjust and for you to see the difference. I tried it for 2 weeks and I am seeing a difference. My hair is less greasy and softer now. I am going to stick with it as my shampoo!

So here's how you do it for any who want to try:

  • Grab about 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda with one hand and in your hands mix a bit of warm water into it to make a paste.
  • With your fingers rub/massage the paste onto your roots and scalp, add some water if necessary.
  • Don't worry about getting the ends of your hair, they will get clean with conditioner and water.
  • Wash it out while massaging your scalp.
  • Condition hair like normal.
  • Try for 2 weeks.
Do any of you know of natural alternatives to shampoo or conditioner?

6 comments:

Kika VilaNova said...

hmmm I have no idea... My hair is VERY thick and curly, I don't think this baking soda thing would work,,, but I'll give it a try.

thanks for sharing ;)

Liesl said...

I didn't think it would work either and was surprised that it did. Of coarse I have really thin, flat, straight hair, so who knows. If you do try it give it at least 2 weeks so your hair can adjust. Let me know if it works for you or not; I'm curious if it does work for thick curly hair.

Liesl said...

Kika, you may be interested in this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

The Tchongas said...

wow interesting tips! I'll give it a try! :)

Kika VilaNova said...

I started washing my hair with conditioner and it's MUCH smoother!

THANKS for the tip :)

Liesl said...

Really? That's great! Glad it worked out for you :)