Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Introducing Solids.

So I feel like I'm at a cross roads right now. My sweet little girlies are almost 4 months old, and with that, they are only two weeks away from being given a green light to solids. But I can't decide if I want to go ahead, or if I want to wait!


With my first, I waited until he was 6 months old. But with the girls I really can't decide. I know that there is the whole "if they are ready/interested" thing, and in that sense, they seem to be. But I'm posting this more to see what you think, did you wait longer, did you jump in eagerly into feeding solids and seeing all the funny faces? Did you really start with the cereal, or did you just went straight for the fruits and veggies (that's what I did with my first). And if you waited, why did you decide to wait?

Anyway... what were your experiences with introducing solids like? 

6 comments:

Vanessa Hewell said...

I waited til my daughter was about 6 months old. Her ped told me to start solids much earlier but he's kind of old school and I went with the AAP recommendation of 6 mths. I never really did the cereal-the kiddo didn't care for it at all. We went straight to the fruits, vegetables, and yogurt.

Aline Carson said...

I tried when Eric was 4 months old but he didn't really care for it so I just waited until he was 6 months and still he didn't eat very well, I had a hard time feeding him solids, all he wanted to do was breastfeed. So I would just wait, it's more work for you and it's not like they need it now anyway.

Unknown said...

Thomas tried cereal when he was 4 months and he liked it. And soon I started with fruits and veggies. He did really well.

Rebeca Price said...

I tried with Rachel when she was a little over 4 months and she hated..then I waited a bit and she started liking it. Honestly, I dont remember the whole thing, but after a while, she was eating so well, but because she had a lot of teeth, we fed her our regular foods too like rice, beans, veggies (not meats until she had her molars with 10 months - yes! it was pretty early to have her molars at 10 months old) then she didnt want to eat any of the veggie baby food and we would only give the fruit ones. Rice cereal wasnt her favorite either.

Mandi said...

This is just a thought for you. My sons were both 5 weeks early. That means their bodies are really at the developmental stage of a baby who would have been born a month later. I started my first son on solids and it was a disaster. His poor little intestines couldn't handle the food. I had listened to everyone saying that 4 months is good for food, but his body was more like a 3 month old. So we waited til he was 6 months and it was fine. With my second I am waiting til he is 6 months, unless he shows me signs that he is really ready.

Mama Baer | 1.2.3.4.5 said...

that's a good point mandy. My girls were also 5 months old, and I really hadn't thought about that. I also waited more with Thomas, and I will probably wait with the girls too. After all, life just gets way to messy with solids are introduced right?! :o)